2021 Event Dates Lone Star Kayak Series CLASSIC
Brought to you by Champions Outdoors, Power Pole and Tailin' Toads
Event #1: March 13 Port Arthur
Event #2: May 15 Anahuac
Event #3: July 10 Hitchcock
Event #4: September 11 Freeport
Championship: October 30 Matagorda
Team Event: December 12
- $75.00 per regular season solo event
- $5.00 enters every contestant into the big red side pot.
- 75% of remaining $60.00 will be paid out to the Top 25% of the field.
- $150 per team for the team event
- 75% will be paid out to top 25% of the field.
- A trophy will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place per event.
- AOY winner will receive a trophy, free entries into the next seasons solo events and a kayak.
- You may only place once in each side pot but you may place in multiple side pots.
- Entry cut off will be 8:00 PM on the day before the event.
- No fishing allowed from sunset on the day before the event until 6:00 AM on the day of the event.
- Launch at any time. Lights are required for pre-sunrise launches.
- First cast will be 6:00 AM.
- Weigh-in will start at 3:00 PM and end at 4:00 PM. You must have your fish at the weigh-in line by 4:00 PM.
Weigh-In Location LSKS Classic:
Event 1: Port Arthur, Texas
S.A.L.T. Club on Pleasure Island
Event 2: Anahuac, Texas Fort
Fort Anhuac Park
Event 3: Hitchcock, Texas
Louis Bait Camp
Event 4: Freeport, Texas
Championship: Matagorda, Texas
Team Event: To be determined by the 2020 Team Event Champion.
Angler of The Year:
- AOY will be based on cumulative points throughout the year.
- Regular season events will reward points starting at 100 for first and going down by one for each place.
- 1st = 100 points
- 2nd = 99 points
- 3rd = 98 points and so on…
- Anyone who enters the contest will receive 10 points less than the last place to weigh in a fish.
- If the last person to weigh in a fish receives 70 points everyone else who signs up will receive 60 points. MUST ATTEND WEIGH IN TO ACCRUE POINTS. FISH OR NO FISH.
- There will be a minimum awarded amount of 30 points. Meaning even if 80 people weigh in fish the least amount of points anyone will receive is 30.
- AoY awards will be given at the weigh-in for the Championship Event.
- AoY ties will be determined by total weight for the year including bonus weight for live fish.
- AoY will receive free entry into all regular season solo events of the next year.
ALL LSKS Event Rules:
- PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS: Kayaks must be launched at a public launch accessible to the general public. You may not launch from private property (including your personal water front property), or any other place that requires "special permission". Boundaries will include all inshore waters you can legally fish with a Texas license. No LA waters are allowed but all Sabine waters legal to fish with a Texas license are allowed. Inshore will include Jetties out to where you can draw a point between the two land masses on each side of the jetty rocks but no further. San Luis Pass will end at the bridge. Ladies events boundaries will be any legal fishing waters in that state for the event month, with all otehr rules standing.
- CAPTAINS MEETING: NOT MANDATORY We will go live at 6 pm from the weigh in location the Friday night prior to each event. You do not have to attend, however tune in to the LSKS facebook page for any updates and rule clarification at that time. Raffles and barbque will be provided at the Captains Meeting if you choose to attend.
- MINORS: Anyone under the age of eighteen (18) may fish the LSKS with written permission from either a parent or legal guardian. If minor is under the age of sixteen (16) they must be accompanied by an adult.
- FISH LENGTHS: Each contestant can weigh two (2) Redfish within the slot of 20 - 28". Fish will be measured on a slant board with a perfect pincer device. This device will be placed at the 27" mark and measurements will be hands off. Each fish will receive three attempts at making the legal limit and then will be disqualified. Any fish measuring over 28" must be immediately released into the water in which it came from. Contestants must measure the fish to visually verify the fish is within 20 - 28". Contestants shall have ninety (90) seconds to let the fish relax to measure the fish on the water. If a fish is too large after ninety (90) seconds it must be released. ALL WEIGH MASTER DECISONS ARE FINAL. Ladies events, upper slot limit will vary state to state. Upper Slot will be 27 Alabama, Louisiana and Florida and remain 28 in Texas to line up with state Parks and Wildlife fishing regulations.
- FISH WEIGHTS: We will measure and weigh each fish individually and add the weights together for overall weight. Your largest redfish will automatically be taken for side pots. You will no longer have to pick which redfish you wish to use.
- ALTERING OF FISH: Frozen or mutilated fish will not be allowed. Fish shall be considered frozen if it cannot be bent. Fish will be considered mutilated if it looks beat up, eaten by crabs or altered in any way. Ice may be used only to cool down the water temperature in the live well. If a fish dies, it may be put on ice but must be of legal length beforehand. Do not place over sized fish on ice to intentionally shrink it, as this will be deemed as altering the fish. The Tournament shall have the right to retain any fish for further inspection, and all decisions shall be determined final by the Tournament Weigh Master.
- PERMITTED FISHING METHODS: Outside of the team event, the Lone Star Kayak Series is a single person event. There shall be no partnering or pooling of fish. You may however launch with and fish shoulder to shoulder with other contestants. All fish must be caught during the day of the event and during the allotted times. Participants are not allowed to fish within one hundred (100) yards of another tournament angler unless waived in or invited. If a contestant allows one competitor within this range, then all contestants are allowed to do so. You can’t pick and choose who you allow to fish near you. The exception to this rule is when your fishing in a travel corridor or channel blocking access to other fishable areas, in such a case any contestant may stop fishing and travel past you, the may not however slow down and fish while doing so. You may fish together with another contestant in a tandem kayak as long as the kayak was intended for this purpose and both contestants are in the event. You may not stringer fish together on the same stringer or share your fish. This does not breach the 100-yard rule allowing other contestants within that distance. If wading, you must remain tethered to your kayak. Non-participants are not allowed to fish with event contestants. The use of drones on tournament day are strictly prohibited. Any act deemed by the Tournament Director(s) that gives an angler an unfair advantage not specifically covered under this set of rules shall be grounds for disqualification. Any violation by an angler deemed intentional or preconceived by the Tournament Director(s) to gain an unfair advantage, would be grounds for permanent disqualification. During the team event partners must stay within 150 yards of each other.
- TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT: All fish must be caught by rod and reel using artificial lures only. You may only use one (1) rod at a time. Trolling is not permitted. Chumming, tipping, trailing and/or the use of live or dead bait is strictly prohibited. Kayak, canoe, hybrid kayak, paddle or peddle craft only. All kayaks must be physically launched. You may not ferry your kayak (the use of a motorized vehicle or boat to transport on water or land after launch) NO EXCEPTIONS.
- SAFETY & REGULATIONS: Safe boating shall be observed at all times. All competitors are expected to obey all applicable federal, state and local regulations and laws. Violation of such rules may result in disqualification from the tournament. Repeated or flagrant violations will result in said competitors being banned from future participation in Lone Star Kayak Series tournaments. In addition, participants must wear a US Coast Guard approved PFD at all times while competing in any Lone Star Kayak Series event.
- String them & bring them format, this is not a Catch Photo Release (CPR) tournament. Anglers may weigh in live or dead fish. There is a .25-pound bonus to your total weight per live fish added to main stringer. Side pots do not get additional weight added. In order for the fish to be considered alive, the fish needs to show some sign of life at the Weigh-In scale. For example, wave a fin, flare their gills or do something to show us he is alive. We are doing the live fish weigh-in for "conservation" but understand that not every fish is going to end up making it in fully alive to be released back. If the angler is making the attempt and the fish has a pulse, it will be considered "alive" for the .25-pound bonus.
- POLYGRAPH: Each contestant who fishes a Lone Star Kayak Series event agrees to potentially submit to a polygraph examination at a time and location determined by the Tournament Director(s) following the end of the competition in each event and abides by its conclusion. Failure to pass the polygraph will result in disqualification.
- PROTESTS: All protests must be submitted in writing along with a $100 cash deposit within 10 minutes of when the scales close to the Tournament Director(s). The protester also agrees that if there is a question of verifying the charge of a protest that he or she also may be subject to take a polygraph and agree to testify in a court of law if necessary. If the Tournament Director(s), or polygraph, upholds the protest, the cash deposit shall be returned to the contestant submitting the protest.
- Ties: If a tie occurs for Angler of the Year, the winner will be the angler with the greatest total weight for the season for all events used to qualify. (not to include the dropped or team events) In the event of a tie for a single event, the following will determine the winner:
- Weigh in time.
- RIGHT OF REFUSAL: The Lone Star Kayak Series reserves the right to refuse entry to a participant for any reason. If you have paid your entry & are denied entry to the event, you will be given a full refund. Entry cut off will be Friday @ 8:00 p.m. the week of the tournament. Minors under the age of eighteen (18) may fish the LSKS with written permission from either a parent or legal guardian. If minor is under the age of sixteen (16) they must be accompanied by an adult.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER: If the weather looks to be inclement, it is the contestant’s responsibility to check the Lone Star Kayak Series website, Facebook or call the Tournament Directors to see if the event is on. If you do not see or hear a message, the event has not been cancelled. If event is cancelled messages will be posted by 12:00 AM ON THE LSKS FB PAGE AND WEBSITE and the event will be rescheduled for a date TBD.
- ALLOWED WATERCRAFT: Only watercraft intended to be paddled or pedaled will be allowed in this event. This includes kayaks and canoes. ZERO aluminum or fiberglass watercraft will be allowed WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE NEW APEX WATERCRAFT TYR. SOLO Skiffs or any watercraft with skiff in the name in any way will not be allowed. Failing to adhere to all rules set forth in the electric motors section or the allowed watercraft section will result in a lifetime ban from all Lone Star Kayak Series events without exception.
- ELECTRIC MOTORS: Electric motors will be allowed within the following exceptions.
- Thrust/HP rating shall not exceed 3 HP or 70# of thrust.
- Only one motor of any kind will be allowed.
- All watercraft using a motor shall strictly adhere to all coastguard and state regulations for such use.
- Anyone using an electric motor shall submit a picture to LSKS staff which clearly shows TX tags on your kayak prior to first cast time. Anyone failing to do so will be disqualified for the event with no exceptions.
- All suggested weight and safety guidelines set forth by the kayak manufacturer must also be followed.
- Failing to adhere to all rules set forth in the electric motors section or the allowed watercraft section will result in a lifetime ban from all Lone Star Kayak Series events without exception.